Wednesday, January 22, 2014



Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0ftGX_pXw

Article: http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/everyday-innovations/light-stick.htm


1. Would this glowstick be useful on an overnight camping trip? Give an example and 3 pieces of evidence.

2. Would a glowstick be useful for an underwater diving trip? Provide three pieces of evidence to support your answer.

3. How could you use the glowstick at home?  Provide an example and three pieces of evidence to support your answer.

EXAMPLE ANSWER

1. This glowstick would not be useful on an overnight camping trip. I would use it as a night light instead of a flashlight in case I had to walk in the dark.

Evidence A: These are cheap glow sticks and in the article it said "depending on which compounds are used, the chemical reaction may go on for a few minutes or for many hours". I don't think these use high quality compounds.

Evidence B: From the video I know that the chemicals need to mix in order for the glow stick to work. If the chemicals do not mix well enough the light won't be bright enough.

Evidence C: According to the article, in order to activate the glow sticks the vial inside needs to be broken. Just by transporting the glow sticks I may break the vial in my bag and it will run out of energy before I actually need to use it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment